Suite Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Suite Sports

HomeHome  indexindex  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Why the NBA is missing the mark

Go down 
+8
CoachPopabich
FreddyAdu
carpediem33800
Nicky_Cee
rasheezy
TheBaronofDavis
growler
cochon-prodigue
12 posters
AuthorMessage
cochon-prodigue
scrub

Why the NBA is missing the mark Empty
PostSubject: Why the NBA is missing the mark   Why the NBA is missing the mark EmptySat Jan 12, 2008 5:57 pm

This goes beyond the Tim Donaghy situation. The officials have been getting progressively worse the past few years.
With all the ticky-tack fouls called recently, the games never gain any fluidity. Also, the officials give superstar treatment to certain players. It's impossible to guard certain superstar players because the officials will call a foul on their opponent for practically breathing on them. Now, in the same situation with an unproven player on offense, the officials will swallow their whistle and let the opponent play aggressive defense. All I want from the officials is consistency... and lately that has been a big problem. A big part of basketball is adjusting as the game is played. For example, if you know that the officials are calling a lot of fouls, you probably won't play quite as aggressive defense. If you were fouled the next time you took a shot and the officials didn't call it you would be very frustrated because the officials are being very inconsistent and are calling the game differently on both ends of the court. This can prevent a player from ever adjusting in a game and making it a guessing game of what you can and can't do.

Flopping has become the biggest problem facing the NBA game today. Flopping occurs when a player tries to win an academy award by faking the extent at which the opposing player either bumps or runs into them. There is a certain amount of contact that should be allowed between the players without calling a foul and usually flops happen after this type of contact. The rules need to be changed in order to punish the player taking the flop instead of rewarding them and until this happens, the NBA game is being diminished as players are trying harder to win an academy award than trying to play good defense.
Back to top Go down
growler
towelboy

PostSubject: Re: Why the NBA is missing the mark   Why the NBA is missing the mark EmptySat Jan 12, 2008 6:01 pm

The NBA has softened the league on the perimeter to allow for more offense, now every thing becomes a foul that teams can flop knowing that they can get calls. When the NBA was physical in the 90s, no team would flop really because they knew that the likelihood that they would get a foul is low.
Back to top Go down
TheBaronofDavis
JV

PostSubject: Re: Why the NBA is missing the mark   Why the NBA is missing the mark EmptySat Jan 12, 2008 6:07 pm

I think flopping should be no-call, that is just the best way to do it, if the refs think it is a flop, don't blow the whistle.
Back to top Go down
rasheezy
wannabe

PostSubject: Re: Why the NBA is missing the mark   Why the NBA is missing the mark EmptySat Jan 12, 2008 6:08 pm

I don't know what team you are watching, but the NBA is playing at the highest level of all time right now. Players get more and more athletic every year. This season has been one of the best seasons, with good competition, in a long time.
Back to top Go down
Nicky_Cee
wannabe

PostSubject: Re: Why the NBA is missing the mark   Why the NBA is missing the mark EmptySat Jan 12, 2008 6:11 pm

the biggest problem is that16 teams make the playoffs

and thats still silly, more than half the teams make the playoffs, thats too many...Only the best of the best should be in the playoffs
Back to top Go down
carpediem33800
wannabe

PostSubject: Re: Why the NBA is missing the mark   Why the NBA is missing the mark EmptySat Jan 12, 2008 6:13 pm

rasheezy wrote:
I don't know what team you are watching, but the NBA is playing at the highest level of all time right now. Players get more and more athletic every year. This season has been one of the best seasons, with good competition, in a long time.
Yes more athletic, because tyrus thomas and stromile swift are exactly what the league was missing
Back to top Go down
FreddyAdu
JV Waterboy

PostSubject: Re: Why the NBA is missing the mark   Why the NBA is missing the mark EmptySat Jan 12, 2008 6:14 pm

The thing I hate is when players jump into another player to get a foul. They aren't even fouling, but refs call it any way.
Back to top Go down
CoachPopabich
JV

PostSubject: Re: Why the NBA is missing the mark   Why the NBA is missing the mark EmptySat Jan 12, 2008 6:19 pm

My god, why is it that NBA fans seem to hate watching the games. Rather they want to complain about some relatively minor issues and live in nostalgia lane. Just turn on classic nba games and really, really watch them rather than just stare at Jordan and I think youd be surprised how similar things were back then.
Back to top Go down
Doctor MJ
scrub

PostSubject: Re: Why the NBA is missing the mark   Why the NBA is missing the mark EmptySat Jan 12, 2008 6:37 pm

I think continuation calls are far worse than flopping
Back to top Go down
marathon
JV

PostSubject: Re: Why the NBA is missing the mark   Why the NBA is missing the mark EmptySat Jan 12, 2008 6:51 pm

The NBA does an OK job by enforcing the Restricted Area rule and telling Jonny on the spot that if he stands under the basket and gets clocked its his own damn fault. But a lot of refs just need to flat-out concentrate on the physical movements of the players once the Restricted Area thing is settled. There are three referees on the court; f**king use the collective manpower. NBA officiating crews are three prima donnas with no collective sense of duty.
Back to top Go down
vaff87
towelboy

PostSubject: Re: Why the NBA is missing the mark   Why the NBA is missing the mark EmptySat Jan 12, 2008 6:54 pm

the league is too nice which kinda relates to the point. Bird and Jordan were hardcore competitors and backed up their word. I guess this is under officiating; I hate seeing a call made when there's barely any real contact. i.e. D-whistle
Back to top Go down
gunnabdaschwab09
towelboy

PostSubject: Re: Why the NBA is missing the mark   Why the NBA is missing the mark EmptySat Jan 12, 2008 6:59 pm

My main problem with the league that it is too nice and overly P.C.
I think 30 teams is the perfect amount and I'd also like to see the Clippers relocate to a different city (in my perfect imaginary world)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why the NBA is missing the mark   Why the NBA is missing the mark Empty

Back to top Go down

Why the NBA is missing the mark
Page 1 of 1