Suite Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Suite Sports

HomeHome  indexindex  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

McCain's honesty lost him michigan

Go down 
+2
electrifyinkid
zombiehax
6 posters
AuthorMessage
zombiehax
n00b

McCain's honesty lost him michigan Empty
PostSubject: McCain's honesty lost him michigan   McCain's honesty lost him michigan EmptySat Jan 26, 2008 6:10 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080116/ap_po/on_deadline_michigan

Quote :
WASHINGTON - Mitt Romney's victory in Michigan was a defeat for authenticity in politics. The former Massachusetts governor pandered to voters, distorted his opponents' record and continued to show why he's the most malleable — and least credible — major presidential candidate.

And it worked.

The man who spoke hard truths to Michigan lost. Of all the reasons John McCain deserved a better result Tuesday night, his gamble on the economy stands out. The Arizona senator had the temerity to tell voters that a candidate who says traditional auto manufacturing jobs "are coming back is either naive or is not talking straight with the people of Michigan and America."

Instead of pandering, McCain said political leaders must "embrace green technologies," adding: "That's the future. That's what we want."

Romney jumped all over McCain, playing to the fears of voters in a state with the nation's highest unemployment rate. "I've heard people say that the auto jobs are gone and they're never coming back," Romney told his audiences. "Well, baloney, I'm going to fight for every single good job."
Back to top Go down
electrifyinkid
JV

PostSubject: Re: McCain's honesty lost him michigan   McCain's honesty lost him michigan EmptySat Jan 26, 2008 6:31 pm

McCain is definitely right in that argument, and Romney is definitely smart enough to know that hes misleading the people.
Back to top Go down
josm864
scrub

PostSubject: Re: McCain's honesty lost him michigan   McCain's honesty lost him michigan EmptySat Jan 26, 2008 6:33 pm

I dont know if that alone would be the reason Mitt won. He dad was a really popular michigan govenor.
Back to top Go down
HCfanluvah
towelboy

PostSubject: Re: McCain's honesty lost him michigan   McCain's honesty lost him michigan EmptySat Jan 26, 2008 6:36 pm

I voted in the MI primary, and the turnout here in Holland was pretty impressive. I was the 587th voter at my precinct and there was a line behind me at 6:15 last night.

I voted for Ron Paul, mainly because of my disgust for all the other candidates. I actually like Huckabee's policies, but I can't stomach his pious religiosity and I fear giving power to theocrats. Romney fingers the wind incessantly and appears to have no actual ideas. Giuliani isn't my cup of tea. I have concerns about McCain's health and his ability to function with Congress. Fred Thompson is a joke. None of the Deomcrats except Hillary were on the ballot, so that wasn't an option.

The local polls here showed Huckabee a huge winner, but I live in the reddest part of the state, chock full of gun-waving God squadders. Interestingly, Romney came in 4th in my county--behind Huckabee, McCain, and Paul.
Back to top Go down
Magnetta101
wannabe

PostSubject: Re: McCain's honesty lost him michigan   McCain's honesty lost him michigan EmptySat Jan 26, 2008 6:37 pm

I think it's human nature...one candidate told the truth, but painted a rather bleak picture of Michigan's future. The other promised differential treatment and the return of lost jobs. Even though most voters probably suspected that Romney would be unable to deliver on his promises, even false hope is appealing.
Back to top Go down
sockrocker
n00b

PostSubject: Re: McCain's honesty lost him michigan   McCain's honesty lost him michigan EmptySat Jan 26, 2008 6:42 pm

Or people don't know he is lying in his ads. I mean some people go on simply what they see in tv ads. As sad as that sounds a lot of people do. Also independents didn't turn out so thats why McCain lost. McCain needs to do something to reach out to the true republicans because if he doesn't he is going to be in trouble. I just have a feeling it is going to come down to Romney and Rudy. And even after feb 5th iis over ts going to be to close to call.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: McCain's honesty lost him michigan   McCain's honesty lost him michigan Empty

Back to top Go down

McCain's honesty lost him michigan
Page 1 of 1