Suite Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Suite Sports

HomeHome  indexindex  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

St Louis considers banning swear words

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
short105
scrub

St Louis considers banning swear words Empty
PostSubject: St Louis considers banning swear words   St Louis considers banning swear words EmptyThu Jan 24, 2008 5:59 pm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22559988/?GT1=10755

Quote :
ST. CHARLES, Mo. - What the ...? A St. Louis-area town is considering a bill that would ban swearing in bars, along with table-dancing, drinking contests and profane music.

City officials contend the bill is needed to keep rowdy crowds under control because the historic downtown area gets a little too lively on some nights.

City Councilman Richard Veit said he was prompted to propose the bill after complaints about bad bar behavior. He says it will give police some rules to enforce when things get too rowdy.

But some bar owners worry the bill is too vague and restrictive, saying it may be a violation of their civil rights.

Marc Rousseau, who owns the bar R.T. Weilers, said he thinks the bill needs revision.

"We're dealing with adults here once again and I don't think it's the city's job or the government's job to determine what we can and cannot play in our restaurant," Rousseau said.

The proposal would ban indecent, profane or obscene language, songs, entertainment and literature at bars.

A meeting to discuss the proposal is set for Jan. 14
Back to top Go down
Puckstopper29
scrub

PostSubject: Re: St Louis considers banning swear words   St Louis considers banning swear words EmptyThu Jan 24, 2008 6:01 pm

Disturbing the peace no longer a valid charge?
Back to top Go down
demo4eva
scrub

PostSubject: Re: St Louis considers banning swear words   St Louis considers banning swear words EmptyThu Jan 24, 2008 6:05 pm

Table-dancing could lead to an injury if someone slips and falls, which is bad for the bar. Drinking contests could lead to puking all over the bar's floor. I can see banning those.

Do they really how much music, especially the kind that could conceivably be played in bars, has swearing in it? I am in shock and disbelief, and would probably stop going places there or just move if this was passed. I probably swear almost every time I'm in a bar, not intentionally but just as a result of the hours of usually casual conversation taking place.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: St Louis considers banning swear words   St Louis considers banning swear words Empty

Back to top Go down

St Louis considers banning swear words
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Suite Sports :: Off Topic-
Jump to: