Suite Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Suite Sports

HomeHome  indexindex  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

horford on the rise

Go down 
+8
gensaviewv
dwighthowardMVP
TitanClub
tropic12
boogieman
Lord Syntax
Raven_Morbisk
kelhar-1
12 posters
AuthorMessage
kelhar-1
scrub

horford on the rise Empty
PostSubject: horford on the rise   horford on the rise EmptyMon Jan 14, 2008 11:15 am

I'm watching Al's FG Attempts rather closely as the season progresses. As of right now Al had 10+ FG Attempts during 6 games and he has attempted 9 during 6 games. I would like for Al to be more consist, and average 10 attempts per/game instead of the 7.3 he currently does. Maybe this is more of Woody's doing so it's possibly out of Al's hands. More inside attempts increases Al's chances of going to the line.

Current Attempt Averages:

Joe Johnson 18.7
Josh Smith 14.4
Marvin Williams 11.1

Many of us have said numerous times that Marvin should be our second option behind Joe. I still feel Marvin should attempt closer to 15 per game, but maybe our offensive plays aren't designed for our players to increase their attempts, so maybe I'm asking for too much, but at times I see many of our players standing around on the 3 line draining the time waiting for someone else to create.

The attempts I would like to see:

Joe Johnson 18-20
Marvin Williams 14-15
Josh Smith 12-14
Al Horford 10
Back to top Go down
Raven_Morbisk
JV

PostSubject: Re: horford on the rise   horford on the rise EmptyMon Jan 14, 2008 11:17 am

Honestly Al just isn't that good of an offensive player, at least not yet. You aren't goning to give him too many touches until he gets mismatches. Ultimately o-boards and hustle plays are going to determine total shot attempts this season.
Back to top Go down
Lord Syntax
towelboy

PostSubject: Re: horford on the rise   horford on the rise EmptyMon Jan 14, 2008 11:19 am

Marvin get to the ft line a lot so his fg attempts are less of a concern.

Horford doesn't get to the line much so his attempts are more of a concern.

Last summer i saw people saying that Horford would be able to use his athleticism to beat bigger, slower players off the dribble and get to the basket. I haven't seen him do that much.

A lot of times he will catch the ball on the perimeter and his man will be several feet off him. Rather than looking to shoot or drive he just stands there looking for someone to pass to while the defenders overplay the passing lanes and the shot clock runs down.

When he posts up he is frequently going up against bigger players which makes it tough for him to establish good position to receive the pass.
Back to top Go down
boogieman
JV

PostSubject: Re: horford on the rise   horford on the rise EmptyMon Jan 14, 2008 11:21 am

JJ and J. Smith could cut a couple of their FGs attempts and let Al take them. The thing about Horford is, he rarely forces a shot. He's very aware of the basketball court and all of that. On the other hand, J. Smith and even JJ force many shots. I was amazed with the way he attacked the rim against the Jazz. C. Boozer had no way to stop him. Now, most of the times, they give him the ball for a jump shot, when his strenght is banging inside. I think that has a lot to do with the coaches and the plays they run for the team.
Back to top Go down
tropic12
scrub

PostSubject: Re: horford on the rise   horford on the rise EmptyMon Jan 14, 2008 11:22 am

Actually Smoove has not been forcing shots lately. Hopefully he has turned a corner.

I will defend JJ for forcing some of his shots. Often times he has no choice.
Back to top Go down
TitanClub
JV

PostSubject: Re: horford on the rise   horford on the rise EmptyMon Jan 14, 2008 11:27 am

I think you are right about the plays being run. The ball usually starts out with Joe or Josh because those two are the guys that can create their own shots. Al clears out so those guys have room going to the hoop so Horford doesn't get the ball moving to the basket and he isn't in position to post or even grab an offensive board. If Joe's shot isn't falling again maybe we should iso Al against Big Z at the top of the key if we can.
Back to top Go down
http://www.watt-up-1.com/j_gallery/April_Bowlby/slides/April_Bow
dwighthowardMVP
towelboy

PostSubject: Re: horford on the rise   horford on the rise EmptyMon Jan 14, 2008 11:29 am

Thrusday against the cavs.

Horford
5-10

JJ
9-19

Marvin
5-13

Smith
7-15
Back to top Go down
gensaviewv
towelboy

PostSubject: Re: horford on the rise   horford on the rise EmptyMon Jan 14, 2008 11:33 am

Also in that 10 attempts, they took advantage of a couple of times when Al beat Big Z down the floor. It's good to get a few like that.
Back to top Go down
tenchu
scrub

PostSubject: Re: horford on the rise   horford on the rise EmptyMon Jan 14, 2008 11:35 am

Agreed. Tonight's game was more along the line of how Horf should be utilized.
Back to top Go down
hafbaked
JV

PostSubject: Re: horford on the rise   horford on the rise EmptyMon Jan 14, 2008 11:37 am

Agreed. Tonight's game was more along the line of how Horf should be utilized.
Back to top Go down
Harry10
JV

PostSubject: Re: horford on the rise   horford on the rise EmptyMon Jan 14, 2008 11:37 am

Al didn't get to the foul line but they benefit by his 10 attempts. It's the little things that count and this was one of those nights for players like Al. Great job on the boards also and two block shots.
Back to top Go down
GSWhoopfan
JV Waterboy

PostSubject: Re: horford on the rise   horford on the rise EmptyThu Jan 17, 2008 4:32 pm

horford's out there grabbing rebounds (over 10 rpg in janurary)
other player seems slightly better at scoring than al
but if you're not pulling you weight in other categories, you shouldn't be out there on the floor
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: horford on the rise   horford on the rise Empty

Back to top Go down

horford on the rise
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Suite Sports :: NBA-
Jump to: